- ‘Inspire Maths’ is built on the proven approach to teaching mathematics in Singapore, recognised globally as one of the most impactful ways to teach and learn maths.
- ‘Inspire Maths’ has been developed with leading UK educational experts and correlated to the new National Curriculum in England. It was selected by the Department for Education and NCETM for the national textbook research project with Maths Hubs
- The programme follows a concrete – pictorial – abstract approach which ensures deep understanding of mathematical concepts during individual lessons and over time.
- Carefully-designed spiral progression in the programme builds up knowledge over time, enabling all children to become confident mathematicians.
- Inspire maths guided sessions promote discussion and exploration, with a strong emphasis on mathematical language, speaking in full sentences, and reasoning (by children consistently being required to explain how they know).
- Inspire maths guided sessions include specific questions, which draw out children’s understanding and identify and misconceptions immediately. Examples of these questions include:
- How do you know?
- What do you know?
- What do you see?
- What is the relationship between…?
- Say it in a full sentence
- What if…
- Prove how you know
- Is there another way?
- Use resources to explain your thinking
Inspire Maths is a high-quality textbook programme which can be used from Y1- Y6 and helps every child to achieve maths mastery. The pupil textbooks introduce concepts in a highly scaffolded way, helping children to make meaningful connections between mathematical ideas.
Each child records their learning in a practice book as well as a maths journal. The practice books reinforce the concepts that have been introduced and encourage extensive opportunities for independent practice. This builds fluency through frequent and varied practice leading towards mastery of concepts. Practice books include a variety of questions and word problems (including non-routine) for consolidation, and challenging questions
- The Teacher’s Guides provide a clear pathway to quickly identify gaps for immediate intervention and opportunities for further practice or enrichment.